The warm summer months see the most motorcycles on the road, and the numbers increase every year. According to the Motorcycle Industry Council, motorcycle sales are up more than 8% through the first quarter of this year.
The following is some important information for the owners and operators of motorcycles:
• Four of the top 10 days with the highest claims for motorcycle customers fell in June.
• The summer months of June, July and August are when most motorcycle accidents happen, and Saturdays are the most dangerous days to ride–so much so that the top five days of the year with the most motorcycle claims are all Saturdays throughout the summer.
• July is one of the most dangerous months for motorcycle riders, with the average number of claims being 78% higher in that month than the average for the rest of the year.
• In 2014, there were more single-vehicle motorcycle claims than any other type. Data shows there were more single-vehicle claims than the next three types put together which include rear-end accidents, intersection accidents and stolen motorcycles.
Motorcycle riders need to be extra cautious when riding in the summer months, as roads may be damaged from brutal winters. Potholes and other unrepaired roads could result in single-vehicle crashes. Riders also need to make sure to keep enough distance behind other vehicles, especially during summer holiday traffic jams, to prevent collisions when cars unexpectedly stop.
Here are some recommended insurance coverages for motorcycles:
• Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
• Comprehensive Coverage
• Collision Coverage
• Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
• Roadside Assistance.
Give Berkely Brokerage Corp. a call and we will make sure that you and your motorcycle are properly insured.