Your house is very likely your most valuable asset. It is your home that holds many memories of holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and time spent watching your family grow. It is important to be properly insured, so that in the event of a fire, burglary, flood or other mishap, your losses will be covered.
The following is a list of important steps you can take to guard against a fire in your home and protect your family:
– Install smoke detectors in every room.
– Have fire extinguishers readily available throughout the house.
– Make sure that appliances have been tested by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and are properly installed by a licensed technician.
– Practice fire drills with your family.
– Remove combustible materials such as rags, paper, old mattresses, leftover paint and chemicals from the attic, cellar and garage.
– Have the heating and air conditioning systems checked annually.
– Use child proof outlets and never overload outlets.
– Do not use appliances that are not operating properly.
– Do not use any appliances with frayed electric cords.
– Use power surge protectors for your computer and any other large electronics.
– Have an electrician check the wiring and outlets in your home to make sure they are safe and up to current standards. This is money well spent and is one of the most important steps to preventing fires.
These steps can go a long way towards protecting your family and your most valuable investmen