It is early in the game, but forecasters are predicting that Joaquin has a good chance of tracking up along the Eastern Seaboard. As we know all too well from past experience with Sandy and Irene, it is important to prepare for the storm to minimize damages and ensure safety. Since we have no control over what Mother Nature has in store for us, we should take the following steps:
Preparing the House and Property:
- Make sure that gutters and downspouts are clear of debris, securely fastened and drain away from the house.
- Inspect the roof to see that the flashing is secure.
- Check to see that the latches and locks on all doors and windows are working properly.
- Inspect all window wells, catch basins and grates to make sure they are free of debris.
- Check to see that drains and sump pumps are operational.
- Inspect the landscaping and prune any dead branches.
- Remove any objects that can become flying missiles and store them inside. If they cannot be moved, anchor them well to protect against high winds and flooding.
- Empty the basement and move valuable items and papers to a higher area in the building.
- Remove flammable items such as chemicals, paint, and cleaners from the premises.
- Have sandbags and tarpaulins on hand.
Preparing for a Power Outage:
- Inspect all battery powered equipment and backup power sources to make sure they are working properly.
- Make sure that you have an adequate supply of flashlights, batteries, candles, gasoline and propane on hand.
- Make sure that you have a battery powered radio.
- Check that you have an adequate supply of non-perishable food and drinking water.
- Have an evacuation kit ready with clothing, food, medications and water.
- Lock any valuable papers in a water and fire proof box that you can grab if you need to evacuate.
- Have the name and number of your insurance agent stored in your phone. Make sure that you also have easy access to your insurance policies
- Have all cellphones and laptops fully charged
Taking these steps ahead of the storm will help prevent a variety of problems and will save time if an emergency or disaster occurs. As always, give Berkely Brokerage Corp. a call with any questions you may have.