As the climate changes and the frequency of damaging storms like Sandy and Nemo increases, it is more important than ever to protect your home, business and family with the proper insurance coverage.
A New York State Senate Task Force has toured storm damaged neighborhoods on the South Shore of Long Island, The Rockaways, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Hudson Valley. Following each tour, the members held roundtable discussions with local business and community leaders. Topics covered included rebuilding and protecting the infrastructure (roads and bridges, water and sewage treatment plants and protecting barrier islands), communication among first responders, local rebuilding and the response of utility companies.
Other topics touched on were evacuation and emergency management plans going forward. Discussions were also held regarding homeowners and businesses that were underinsured. The best solution to this last problem is to review your current insurance coverage with your insurance agent to make sure that you are never caught in this situation. It makes sense to do this now, before you suffer a needless loss.
Their key findings and recommendations include:
– Developing certification and licensing procedures for mold remediation contractors.
– Supplementing existing business loan programs with direct grants to businesses severely impacted by Sandy.
– Working to expedite insurance claims processing to ensure that homeowners get the resources they need to rebuild as soon as possible.
– Developing better statewide protocols for gasoline distribution
– Exploring the use of soft barriers as a means of mitigating future storm damage.
I am attaching the link for the full NYS Senate report for your review: